Monday, October 15, 2007

Left<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>Right




When I was 16 and heading to the DMV to take my drivers test, I had a dilemma. I didn't know left from right. I still don't. When I think about it and reflect on the hand I write with, I can work it out. It takes a second, really; but it's not automatic. Usually this wouldn't get me into trouble. I would know which direction I wanted to go, I read maps easily and with good spatial awareness.

I knew I was a good driver: no problem with the written part or most of the driving. In fact, parallel parking my parents' 9 passenger station wagon would be impressive, maybe extra credit. Only, what if the person observing my driving said, "Turn right at the corner." What would I do. What if I guessed in the moment and went the wrong way, turned on the wrong blinker? Could I ask them to point?

I thought I might try and give myself a clue. I guess others might have tied string to a finger. In the last minute I grabbed my Sharpie from my bag (I was a small time tagger, who always had a marker in my bag.) I printed on the far left side of the car's dashboard a pretty little L. That was the trick that worked. Of course the test turned out to be a breeze. (I do remember now as I write this that the official who rode with me was a woman who was pregnant. That kid must be close to 30 now.) The L stayed on the car, Sharpies are permanent.

No comments:

Labels